This qualification provides learners with an element of sector specialism as part of their wider programme by developing a core of knowledge in the Health and Social Care field. The core covers the content, such as effective communication in Health and Social Care, which is regarded as most important by employers. It is therefore particularly appropriate for those with an interest in progressing to a career in a health and social care-related field, who want to pursue this via a principally academic route and take it alongside other qualifications, such as A Levels in Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, Sociology, English Language and BTEC Medical Science
Year 1 Topics studied
- Unit 5: Anatomy and Physiology
- Unit 1: Developing Effective Communication in Health and Social Care
- Unit 3: Health, Safety and Security in Health and Social Care
Year 2 Topics studied
- Unit 2: Equality, Diversity and Rights in Health in Social Care
- Unit 12: Public Health
- Plus one optional unit of your choice
- There is the option of completing the Diploma in Health and Social Care, which comprises of 12 units and equivalent of two A Levels.
The qualification is comprised of six coursework units. There is no exam for this course. You will receive a final grade of Pass, Merit, Distinction or a Distinction Star. It is equivalent to one A Level.
- You need a clear DBS certificate to complete this course as you will undertake work placements.
- 5 C’s or above at GCSE.
As part of this course you will be expected to meet coursework deadlines and complete extra work in your study periods. A work experience placement in a Health and Social care setting is strongly encouraged as part of this course, especially for those pupils looking to apply to midwifery or nursing.
Outside of the Classroom
You will be given the opportunity to complete two weeks of work experience as part of this course. Students also are given the opportunity to attend the School of Health open days at Plymouth University and a careers day at Treliske Hospital.
Reasons to Study this
This course is equivalent to one A Level. Many students from the course go to study courses in the Health and Social care sector, including Social work, Counselling, Nursing and Midwifery.
Find Out More
The course specification and list of units may be found at: