Across the Newquay Education Trust (NET) our mission is to know, value and understand all of our students, ensuring they have equal access to a flexible, creative curriculum, fostering inclusion for all.
Special Education Needs & Disabilities
Every young person at Newquay Tretherras Academy is special and should experience success and reward wherever possible. There can be barriers to learning for any young person at any time, or of course, such barriers can be on-going. The student with special educational needs has the same right as every other student and it is the aim of our school to ensure that we are providing the appropriate work, in the appropriate way for each student.
- We are committed integration and inclusion.
- We aim to ensure that each student, whatever their special need, will achieve their full potential in all areas by supporting students, teachers and the curriculum.
- Most students on the Record of Need for learning simply require a slightly different approach to teaching in the classroom in order to make good progress.
- All teachers have a responsibility to special needs students and the Learning Support Department aims to provide the support that staff, students and parents may need.
The Wave – Personalised Learning and Well Being Centre
“The most valuable outcome for students is a good set of qualifications secured in a culture of love.” John Tomsett (Headteacher: This Much I Know About Mind Over Matter.)
The Wave is central within our school. We aim to promote positive mental health and lifestyle choices for all students at Newquay Tretherras.
Who can access The Wave
The Wave offers support for students who are experiencing emotional/physical difficulties that create barriers to learning.
What The Wave offers
Students will be able to access daily drop-in clinics, individual time to talk and targeted group work enabling them to receive information and advice in a non-judgmental and welcoming space.
We offer personalised packages to meet the individual needs of students to develop the skills to become successful learners and young adults.
How can students access The Wave
The Wave will be open daily from 8.30am until 3.30pm during term time.
Students can ask for help and support by email email@example.com or in person during break and lunch times and an appointment will be arranged where appropriate.
Referrals can also be made through the Head of Year.
We encourage and value our student’s voice, and actively involve our students in shaping how The Wave will support young people of our School Community moving forwards. If you have any suggestions about The Wave please let us know.
Further details of the school’s SEND provision can be found:
- Newquay Tretherras Academy - Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Policy 2017-18
- Newquay Tretherras Academy - SEND Information Report 2017-18
Please feel free to contact Hayley Coombes, SENDCO, should you have any queries or concerns