The Geography department hope to instil the ‘Wonder of Geography’ in our students and inspire them to know, understand and appreciate the world around them.
Year 7 Curriculum
- Map Skills Passport
- Evolving Planet ( Geological Time, Climate Change and Russia case study)
- People and Places (Population and Urbanisation)
- Smartphones and China (Industry and Supply Chains, and China Case Study)
- A drop in the Ocean (Water Cycle and Rivers)
Year 8 Curriculum
- A Fair World? (World Development)
- Horn of Africa (Regional Case Study)
- Natural Hazards
There is a strong emphasis on learning outside the classroom, with local and/or residential fieldwork opportunities taking place in every year group. Year 5/6 students from feeder primary schools undertake map skills and GIS fieldwork on site, Year 7 students practise their map skills on a treasure trail around the local area, Year 8 visit to Porth Beach as part of their coasts investigation. During each unit of work a homework “challenge” is set in Year 7 and 8, including our annual Volcano model competition.