A Level Computer Science

Computer Science at Tretherras is relevant both to the modern world of computing and the higher education community. You do not have to have studied Computer Science at GCSE, as long as you can display the required level of logical thinking.

Computer Science is a practical subject where students can apply the academic principles learned in the classroom to real-world systems. It’s an intensely creative subject that combines invention and excitement, that can look at the natural world through a digital prism. Computer Science values computational thinking, helping students to develop the skills to solve problems, design systems and understand the power and limits of human and machine intelligence.

This course is the best preparation for students who want to go on to study Computer Science at a higher level and will also provide a good grounding for other subject areas that require computational thinking and analytical skills.

Two exams, and one NEA (Non exam assessment).

Entry Requirements:

In order that students have full access to everything we study and that they enjoy the course, we require 5 level 5 grades or above at GCSE, including a Level 5 (or higher) in GCSE Mathematics.

Year 1:

The AS will consist of two components, which will be externally assessed and weighted at 50% each. Students learn about a wide range of topics such as CPUs, logic gates, data types, ethical issues and how to solve problems through designing algorithms and turning these into code. Lessons involve discovering key theories and techniques in Computing, then instantly applying them to their practical application through coding! The department has made a significant investment in leading edge learning resources for both AS and A2 students.

Year 2:

The A Level will consist of three components, two of which will be externally marked question papers making up 80% of the qualification. This builds on Year 1 learning with students delving deeper into topics such as pattern recognition, abstraction of the real world and algorithm efficiency. The other 20% will be the coursework project which has a focus on coding an app to meet a real world need. This involves analysing a problem, designing a solution, implementing the solution then thorough testing and evaluation. Students have completely free choice on the purpose and design of their app. This could be a revision app for students, a booking system for a local business or even a game in Unity using a language like C#. Teachers support the learning journey for students, making sure they develop their coding skills to be able to tackle their project.

Beyond the classroom

The digital age relies upon computers. Over 93% of UK Computer Science graduates secure well paid positions in the Technology Industry within 6 months of graduating. A systems developer earns between £45,000 – £70,000. You may have noticed that computers are global! Being skilled in Computer Science opens up a whole world of well paid, interesting career opportunities for you.