Science, Technology, Engineering & Maths (STEM)
At Newquay Tretherras, we are committed to promoting STEM and its ability to provide students in the South West with the key knowledge and skills to reach their potential and develop into the Scientists, Engineers and Designers of tomorrow.
We achieve this through a broad curriculum which offers a number of excellent opportunities to study STEM subjects. We also raise the awareness of STEM through a wide range of enrichment and extra-curricular activities which promote the prospects and potential of STEM for students in Cornwall and their future careers.
Our STEM enrichment activities include:
- STEM Ambassadors Programme
- KS3 STEM and Senior Science clubs
- The National Big Bang Science Fair
- National British Science week
- Royal Society of Chemistry activities
- The Bloodhound Project – international world land speed record attempt
- Project Fred – restoration of a light aircraft
- Greenpower car project
- Spectroscopy workshops with Plymouth University
- 6th Form Xmas lectures for aspiring primary scientists
- Future Medics – support and guidance for medical school applications
- Project Drone – working with Cornwall Manufacturers Group to build our very own NT drone
- Eden Project education workshops
- A level Science Olympiad competitions
- Headstart – engineering taster courses
- Nuffield Research Placements – work experience with STEM professionals
Our TASC programme offers Leadership opportunities and STEM enrichment to inspire our 6th form, as well as giving students the opportunity to explore higher level STEM courses and related careers.
We work with a wide range of local, national and international businesses, industries and organisations which collaborate to enhance students’ learning and their progression to rich and varied career pathways for their futures.
Newquay Tretherras is proud to be the lead STEM school for the nearby Newquay Aerohub
Enterprise Zone, working on a number of projects to promote STEM careers and opportunities in aerospace industries and beyond.