Sixth Form AS Exams
Dear Sixth Form Students, Parents and Carers,
I hope that you and your families are well at this time.
We have decided that we will not be entering the majority of students for AS exams this year. The reasons behind this are as follows:
- AS exams do not contribute to overall A Level grades.
- They carry no UCAS points if a student continues studying the subject to A Level.
- University offers are made on the full A Levels students study in Year 13, not completed AS qualifications.
- The majority of students are studying 3 A Levels and so will not drop a subject (so don’t need the AS).
- It creates more curriculum time to deliver the full A Level –this will be beneficial at the end of Year 13.
Staff have already submitted likely grades, in accordance with the guidelines I shared with you I the last email. We will use these as a measure of progress this year.
There are some circumstances where students will be entered for an AS grade. These are as follows:
- A Year 13 student who has taken an AS subject this year.
- A Year 12 student has taken 4 subjects and will drop one before starting Year 13. We will enter a grade for the dropped subject to ensure they get a grade for the year’s work.
- A Year 12 student has taken AS subjects but intends to leave school at the end of the year.
- If a Year 12 student needs an AS grade for another, specific reason.
We have already contacted students who we know fulfil the criteria set out above. If you have not been contacted, but wish to be entered for an AS grade this summer, can you contact me please. This must be before Friday 24th April.
If you require further information regarding this matter, or have any questions about Sixth Form issues, please do not hesitate to contact me via email.